Around Hobart, Summer 2017

Summer 2017 begins in late November 2016. After the re-rigging exercise in May 2016, we had one month back in Melbourne, then went to Europe for two months and enjoyed a second summer there, including two weeks living aboard a barge in Holland and travelling around the Dutch canals. Read about our floating and terrestial adventures in our blog.

During our summer we make three trips down the Channel (two with guests), two trips to Norfolk Bay, and finish with a fifteen day trip to Port Davey. We have a couple of day sails which include going out for the traditional Parade of Sail during the Wooden Boat Festival.

At the end of summer we undertake a significant maintenance job: replacing the anchor chain and the galvanised iron box that it lived in, which involved having a new plastic box specially built, and emptying the entire anchor locker in order to remove the old box and the old chain, repaint the inside, fit the new box, replace and refit the matting that protects the hull, refurbish the spurling pipe and finally load a new chain, shiny and freshly marked. In the process we are pleased to find that there are only 3 or 4 small rust spots on the inside of the locker, and also to realise that the whole area is double skinned, so even if there were rust there would be no danger of a leak.

After ripping our staysail during our second trip to Norfolk bay and having to have it patched, we also decide that it is time Nahani had a new suit of sails, so we spend some time with sailmaker Nick organising for them to be made during the 2017 winter.

Summer 2017 ends for us toward the end of February.

Spring checkup

Wednesday 26 to Monday 31 October 2016

Early spring is so cold and wet in Melbourne that there is no incentive to come any further South, and it is late October before we make our first visit to check that all is OK. Which it is, the boat is in very good shape considering we haven't been down for over five months.

We have good weather at first, allowing the mate to do some sanding and varnishing, while the captain adjusts the sailbag and replaces a chafed reefing line. Below decks he does the messy job of changing the engine oil. The last day it blows a gale and it's too windy to do any more maintenance above decks, so we hunker down and don't do much at all. We fly out just in time on Monday, as snow is forecast. [Top]

First cruise down the Channel

Tuesday 29 November to Tuesday 6 December 2016

We travel from Melbourne severally by boat and plane on Saturday 26 November. Mate and car go via the SoT on a daytime crossing, picking up the Captain in Launceston airport en route to Hobart. Sunday is sunny, we walk to Jackman & McRoss for brunch, shop for basics on our way home, attend a concert in St Georges church and then have fish and chips with the Blichfeldts. Monday is spent provisioning: engine oil and flares for the boat, a week's food for us. We are ready to leave by 5pm and consider heading out, but opt to wait, a decision we feel pleased about when it starts to rain half an hour later and continues until dark. Tuesday is sunny and calm and we are out of the pen by 10am, motoring down the river. There is a good breeze in the lower part of the river, and we round Point Pierson under sail doing a tide-assisted 7.5 kt. Nice sailing at 5-6kt down past Barnes and Kettering, then we lose the wind and motor in to pick up a mooring in Apollo. Weather has turned cool and cloudy, so after lunch we decide to stay in Apollo, taking the dinghy for a run later to check that all is in order with it and the outboard. [Top]

On Wednesday we wake to a NE breeze, but it doesn't last and we motor on down the Channel in a cool, grey calm. We stop at north Tin Pot bay for lunch, and then move further south with more sun but still no wind, anchoring off Lighthouse beach. On Thursday we have a good run across to Port Esperance, starting in light winds but needing to take sail off when we are in the open stretch at the bottom of the Channel, and then still do over 6kt. It's blowing hard enough for it being a welcome relief when sail past Hope, Faith and Charity islands and into calmer waters, picking up the KBC mooring. We go ashore and visit Jeremy and Penny, then walk into Dover for a bit of shopping before returning to Nahani to cook lamb shanks for tea. It may be summer, but it's still lamb shank weather here. The following day we hunker down in Dover as a change comes through with very cold, very strong winds.

We sail out on Saturday in brief sunshine, and motor sail toward Cygnet with the wind getting more useful as we go. We are sailing by the time we reach the mouth of the Huon, where we drop the main and run up to the top of Cygnet estuary under jib. We are anchored in time to walk into Cygnet to see what's changed since last year. Sunday is a proper summer day and we walk in again to check out the Sunday market, lunch at the Red Velvet lounge, buy second hand shirts and books at Re-Find, have a second coffee a the Lotus Eaters, where we watch a tiny kitten braving the world, coming out from under a veranda. Another change comes through over night, with rain. Cygnet looks lovely and green in the sunshine as we sail out on Monday after the overnight wind has died down. We motor sail down the estuary to get a bit of hot water, then sail almost all the rest of the way to Barnes Bay, with a bit of motor assistance south of Kinghorne Point. The wind is very gusty so we go for a conservative sail setting. Our speed varies from under 2kt to over 7kt, sometimes with only a few minutes between one and the other. But we make progress, if not steadily, and we're anchored in Quarantine by 5pm. Here we find Galaxsea, so we row over to say hello to Carl and Priscilla. Tuesday, our last day, is spent motoring back to the RYCT in a flat calm. Next day we return to Melbourne for five days, then have a week in the berth doing some maintenance and preparing to slip. [Top]

On the slip, and Christmas

Wednesday 21 December to Monday 26 December 2016

We are due to go on the slip on Tuesday 20 December, but a series of problems in the boatyard delays our haulout. On Wednesday it's blowing so hard we don't think we'll get out of the pen. Finally late morning there is a long enough lull for us to slide out of the pen and head round to the slip. By evening we have primed all spots where the antifouling has flaked off, changed an anode and started cleaning the topsides. Thursday we antifoul Wednesday's patches, finish cleaning and polishing the topsides, and grease the prop. That's all we need to do.

We come off the slip on Friday morning. Between then and Christmas Eve we fill up with fuel and water, do almost all our Christmas shopping (before that we have exactly two presents), wrap and tag them, do the washing, tidy and clean a bit, shop for Christmas Day food. We have Christmas Eve with the Blichfeldt family and friends, then a busy Christmas morning preparing for the boatie waifs and strays Christmas lunch, which we are hosting. By the time guests arrive at midday the boat is looking clean and tidy, the bimini is up, the head door is back on, and lunch is prepared, turning into an absolute feast when Carl, Priscilla and Susie arrive with even more food. We eat ourselves to a standstill by about 5pm. After a sleep, Peter and I clean up and by Boxing Day we are ready for a lazy time watching the start of the Sydney-Hobart and reading our Christmas books. [Top]

Day sail on the Derwent

Thursday 29 December

The first three boats in the Sydney-Hobart race finish in the early hours of Wednesday morning, breaking the race record by almost 5 hours. Then the wind drops, rain sets in, and the yachts arriving later that day struggle up the river, sometimes completely becalmed. Rain lasts all day, although the wind freshens later. Thursday dawns foggy and damp, but we decide to go out for a day sail to watch the next lot of yachts come up the river. Claire and Gösta, Nils, Miki and Tycho come aboard at about 10:30am and we set off in a gentle easterly. We motor-sail down toward Opossum Bay, watch two boats come in, then go back to Mary Ann Bay where we anchor for lunch. In the afternoon we head down to South Arm and the Iron Pot, then turn and come back up-river, passing or being overtaken by Sydney-Hobart yachts all the way. It is lovely being out amongst them, especially when they put up spinnakers for the run to the finish line. We do have a spot of sunshine around lunchtime, but most of the day is grey with very low cloud, making my photos look as though they are black and white. [Top]

Northern Norfolk Bay

Sunday 1 to Saturday 7 January

After attending the Blichfeldts traditional New Year's Eve party, and having coffee with Diana next morning, we decide that calm conditions and a gentle easterly are ideal for leaving the pen, so we slip out. As we round the Garrow rain sets in. We put up sail, but the wind goes progressively more southerly and we eventually strike the sails at Point Pierson. Visibility is poor - we turn on the radar to make sure we avoid other vessels hidden by the rain and cloud. By the time we reach Barnes Bay and pick up a mooring in Sykes, both of us are pretty wet - hot soup and a change into dry clothes is in order. Rain stops overnight, but there is a cold southerly the next day, so we stay in Sykes, doing some cooking and continuing our Christmas reading.

We wake on Tuesday to a gently northerly. Forecast is for the wind to go to the west, so late morning we head out hoping for an appropriate wind to take us up Frederick Henry Bay. Nothing in the Channel, so we motor, charging the batteries and warming the water. More wind once we leave the Channel and we put up sail as we reach the Iron Pot. From there we have a fast trip doing 6.5 to 7+ kts behind Betsy Island, past Cape Contrariety and up to Sloping Main. We anchor there and have lunch, but decide there is too much swell for overnight comfort, so up anchor and motor carefully through the shallows between Hog Island and Sloping Island, then round the corner to anchor in Lime Bay.

The wind goes to the NE during the night, so we are rocking by morning, and the wave action in Lime Bay then progressively increases. We head out into a strong, not particularly favorable wind and motor-sail briskly with just the headsail across to Murdunna, which is still breezy but much more sheltered. After lunch we go ashore for a walk to the store. We browse in the antique and bric-a-brac shop, but although there are interesting things, we think them a bit overpriced. We don't need anything the store has to offer either, so walk back empty-handed. Back in the dinghy we do a bit of sounding for future reference, so we know that we could come a little further into the harbour in safety.

Thursday morning is sunny and dead calm. Around midday the wind gets up and we leave, motoring out past Smooth Island, then putting sail up for a lovely beam reach. It's perfect cruising weather, sun, good NE breeze and we do a comfortable 5+ knots across the top of Norfolk Bay and through Flinders Passage. As we approach the Isle of Caves, the wind drops and when the speed goes below 3kt, we start the engine. The mate is in the middle of dropping the mainsail when we suddenly get a 12kt southerly seabreeze coming up Frederick Henry Bay. In the shallow waters at the top of the bay this is enough to produce short, steep waves crossing our track and we motorsail, rolling uncomfortably until we get into the shelter of Pittwater. We head for a spot where we've anchored before, nudge a sandbar as we circle it to check the depth closer to shore (answer: too shallow!), then anchor in much the same spot. In Pittwater one is usually tide-rode rather than wind-rode, so there isn't much chance of blowing in to the shallows.

On Friday we are expected at a family barbecue at Seven Mile Beach. It all looks so simple on Google Maps. There are two roads of some sort which meet near the beach, opposite where we are anchored in Pittwater. We arrange that we will go ashore, then call for someone to come down one of them and pick us up to take us to Seven Mile Beach. But when we get ashore, we find two tracks which show evidence of having been driven on, but are definitely not roads. We think we should walk along one or other until it starts to look a bit more like a normal unsealed road. After some debate, we take the high road, rather than the track that follows the beach. After about three quarters of an hour walking an undulating sandy track in the hot sun, making phone calls as we go, we eventually reach a point where my cousin can pick us up in a four-wheel drive. We're very pleased to reach Diana's place, sit in the shade and quench our thirst with large volumes of water before moving on to the barbecue food and drink. It's a lovely afternoon, and eventually we are packed back into the car to be driven back to the rendezvous point. In order to reach it earlier in the day, my cousin had driven past a large "Authorised Vehicles Only" notice, and when we return to this point we are faced with a locked gate. She had (possibly illegally) come through a sand-mining site to pick us up. We try the road that runs along the beach on the Pittwater side - another locked gate. Then we return to Surf Road on the south side and find (you guessed it) another locked gate. At this point captain and mate thank our driver and say we will walk in. This time it takes about an hour and forty to get back to the Pittwater beach and the dinghy. In the interim, the tide has risen and fallen. We left the dinghy in the water out from the beach, but the rising tide has swept it on to the beach, and the falling tide has stranded it there, high and dry. It is only a couple of feet from the water-line, but it takes another 20 minutes to drag it through the shallows before we find water deep enough to float it. By the time we've done that and rowed back to Nahani, we are in need of another large drink and a lie down.

Saturday is a beautiful day and everyone that owns a boat is in it, out on the water. Speedboats are buzzing past us early in Pittwater, and by 8:30am we are on our way out of the estuary. Once past all the shallows we put up sail, but the northerly breeze is very light and we need the motor as well. The wind is forecast to shift to the south in the middle of the day and it does, right on cue as we get to the bottom of Frederick Henry Bay. We motor sail past Betsey Island and the Iron Pot, then on up-river to Mary Ann Bay, where we anchor with a dozen other boats. We eat lunch, have a rest, the mate has a swim. One by one the boats in Mary Ann Bay up anchor, put up a headsail and make their way back toward Hobart, and late in the afternoon we follow suit. There's now enough wind to sail to the Garrow light without the motor. There we lose the breeze and motor back to the marina for a successful entry to the pen in very calm conditions. We're very pleased we chose to come back on Saturday as there is a strong and gusty NW wind all Sunday, which would have made berthing impossible for us and caused some heart-stopping moments for helmsmen bringing other vessels into neighbouring pens. [Top]

Sailing with Lynne

Thursday 19 to Monday 23 January

In the week or so between our last trip and Lynne's arrival, we do some fairly major maintenance tasks (varnishing the hatch covers, patching a spot on the bow where we had a recent brush with the jetty), have a couple of dinners out, take in a performance of Trial by Jury, held in the Supreme Court of Tasmania. We collect Lynne from the airport on Wednesday afternoon, and go to dinner with her friends Lee and Stuart.

On Thursday, we enjoy a beautiful sunny day with a gentle southeasterly. Out of the pen we head upriver under the bridge to Cornelian Bay, then back south through the bridge again. Tack back and forth until we get hungry, then motor to Mary Ann Bay. A leisurely lunch and an idle afternoon, followed by a gentle sail back with the wind behind us. Exciting moments as a yacht race bears down on us near the Garrow light (it turns out to be the turning point for the race, just as we are heading past it), and when Peter has some trouble getting Nahani to turn through the wind and into the pen. But with a little help from a friend on the dockside we get in without mishap.

Friday it rains all day as forecast. We plan a trip to MONA, but on discovering that MOFO was on, re-route to TMAG for the afternoon.

Saturday is windy early, with strong northwesterly gusts, so we delay our planned departure until lunchtime when the wind drops, but still have plenty of time to get down to Barnes Bay, mostly under sail, and moor in Quarantine. Wind varies in strength, but we reach 8kt at one point. We have a quiet night in Quarantine, and Sunday dawns calm, sunny and warm. We go ashore and walk up to the Quarantine station, always interesting. A late lunch on our return, then we drop the mooring and sail very slowly round to Apollo Bay. There's very little wind, but it doesn't matter as we aren't going far. Both KBC moorings are taken when we arrive. We anchor, decide we're a bit close to the shore, move, anchor again, and we're just about to make the G&Ts when the boat that had just pipped us for the second KBC mooring leaves, so we up-anchor again and move to the mooring. Drinks in the cockpit, then a roast below.

No wind on Monday, so we motor back fairly purposefully to leave plenty of time for lunch and delivering Lynne to the airport for her flight back to Melbourne. In calm conditions getting into the pen is easy, and we head off to Jackman & McRoss for lunch en route to the airport. [Top]

Southern Norfolk Bay: Taranna and Koonya

Sunday 29 January to Sunday 5 February

A week of strong north westerlies keeps us in the pen, and we get some more maintenance jobs done, do some shopping and socialising. By Saturday the boat is well-provisioned and on Sunday 29 January we finally leave the pen on a lovely sunny day with a light northerly. Sadly it's not strong enough to take us down the Derwent, so we motor-sail. The forecast is for a nasty day on Monday, so our plan is to to find shelter in Barnes Bay on Monday, then sail round to Norfolk Bay on Tuesday. But a nice sea breeze comes up as we near the south end of the Derwent, and we decide that we could use it to go up Frederick Henry Bay. We continue to motor to the Iron Pot, then sail across to Betsey, where we lose the southerly in the lee of the island, and have to motor again. As we come out from behind Betsey, expecting to get back into a southerly stream, we notice that a yacht coming towards us is sailing on starboard with the wind coming from the north. Sure enough as we approach the well-named Cape Contrariety, we realise that the wind is coming down Frederick Henry Bay, not up. At this point the mate suggests a return to Plan A and heading back toward the Channel, but the captain thinks we should push on. We motor through a choppy seas and a rising headwind. We leave the staysail up to try to stabilise the boat, with both sheets tight. This proves too much for the sail, which rips from edge to edge. We carry on to Sloping Main, where we anchor for some respite and a cup of tea, then keep going past Sloping Island, round the top and head down toward Koonya. The wind keeps rising, reaching 30kt at times, and even though it is more favorable in direction, Norfolk Bay is so choppy that we need the motor as well to get down to Little Norfolk Bay. We arrive just after sunset and manage to find and pick up the KBC mooring in the dusk. After a 10 hour sail, mostly into a headwind, we are too tired for anything except a cup of soup and cheese and biscuits.

It rains all Monday morning, but the wild weather forecast (up to 50kts) just doesn't eventuate at all. It's quite still until about 6:30 in the evening. Tuesday does bring more northwesterly wind, so we stay put in Taranna. On Wednesday the wind abates and we risk going round to Koonya for the day, and anchoring off the beach. The wind is mostly gentle, but the day is cool to cold with occasional showers, so not much of a beach day. Claire and Gosta are there for the night and together we rig the Mirror dinghy. We don't actually sail her because no one knows where the rudder and centreboard are and they aren't located until after we've de-rigged the boat and packed all the sails away again. We enjoy a lovely meal with the Blichfeldts and Sue, with the fire going to keep us warm in the tent, then return to Nahani and take her back to Taranna. We're getting good at picking up the mooring in the dark.

On Thursday, the Blichfeldts stop for lunch on the boat as they leave Koonya and head back to Hobart. It's warmer, but still with a northwesterly most of the day. On Friday we decide to head out of Little Norfolk Bay to see if there is enough westerly in the wind to sail north, but there isn't, and it's very choppy again, so we decide rather than have a repeat of our trip down Norfolk Bay, we will return to Taranna. The wind changes from west to north as we go to pick up the mooring, making it harder in broad daylight than it was on either nighttime pickup.

The forecast for Saturday is for the wind to shift from northwest to the south in the middle of the day, so we plan a leisurely departure, heading out shortly before midday. The wind is favorable, pretty much behind us but very light, so we take all afternoon to cross Norfolk Bay on a broad reach, speed varying from zero to 3kt. But it's a lovely sunny afternoon, and we aren't in a hurry, so we just enjoy the journey, heading across to Ironstone Point, then jibing over for a slightly faster reach up to Lime Bay. We enjoy a most beautiful evening in Lime Bay. We arrive about 5pm, we idle on deck, go ashore in the dinghy for a walk on the beach and a swim, return for G&Ts on deck, steak dinner. A real summer day for a change, warm and not too windy.

The north-westerly returns early as forecast, and we're ready to make the most of it by 7:40am, motoring out and up to the end of Flinders Passage. There we put up main and jib, and sail briskly down Frederick Henry Bay, around Cape Contrariety, past Betsey to the Iron Pot. The wind is easing, but still northerly. A southerly change is forecast and we debate whether to go into the Channel and wait for it to come through, or keep going. We decide to carry on, motoring up the Estuary as strong winds are forecast with the change, and if we wait we may get a good run up the river, but be unable to get into the marina. The wind in the Derwent strengthens as we approach the Garrow, so we decide to anchor off the Casino and wait there for the change. At about 3pm the wind drops and we head into the marina and get into the berth in calm conditions, before the southerly change comes in strongly, with some rain. Nice to be safely back after a week away. [Top]

Wooden Boat Festival Parade of Sail

Friday 10 February

After several days of strong gusty NW winds, Friday brings perfect weather for the Parade of Sail. On board we have guests Don and Carroll, and we're joined by friend Diane who is visiting for the Festival, and cousin Claire and Gösta, all of whom arrive punctually at 0930 and by 1000 we are out in the Derwent. We are in time to see the big square riggers come up and to be able to motor round Tenacious and close to the James Craig, Enterprize and Young Endeavour. We come up the river from South Arm, moving cautiously around amongst the progressively expanding fleet of wooden boats until the whole fleet is assembled near the Garrow Light. From there we watch them sail off toward Constitution Dock in a gentle southeasterly, then we motor in the opposite direction down to Mary Ann Bay where we anchor for a very pleasant and rather alcholic lunch. Claire has an appointment at 1610 in Bellerive and we are enjoying lunch so much that we almost leave it too late to get her there. But with a following wind, headsail and the iron topsail (motor) as well, we shoot upriver at 7kt and anchor in Bellerive just before 1600. We lower the dinghy, captain and Claire leap aboard, and he lands her on the jetty in good time to walk up to her appointment. After about half an hour she calls us to say she's done and the captain goes off again. When he reaches her she is lying on the jetty, discovering that the mussels growing on one side are native, but those on the other side are an introduced species (what it is to have someone from the Marine Discovery Centre aboard). They return to the ship (with mussel samples), and we motor back across the river to the RYCT marina. Although it's blowing quite hard by now, we have a relatively easy landing because our neighbour the classic wooden boat Vanity is down in Constitution Dock with all the other wooden boats, so we have a double berth to slide into. It was the perfect day out on the river - ideal conditions, all manner of glorious boats to look at, and lovely company. [Top]

Channel with Don & Carroll

Tuesday 14 to Sunday 19 February

After the Parade of Sail we have three days of indifferent weather, cool, windy and showery. Despite the weather, we visit the Wooden Boat Festival each day, as well as Salamanca Market on Saturday. By Tuesday the weather has improved and we set out for a six day sail. We had hoped to head out to the east coast, but the forecast for strong northeasterlies on Wednesday makes heading out through the Marian Narrows look like a bad idea. Instead we make a leisurely departure and head to the Channel, alternately motoring, sailing and motorsailing down the river. Once in the Channel we turn off the motor and enjoy a lovely sunny afternoon tacking slowly down to Barnes Bay, where we pick up a mooring in Quarantine Bay.

On Wednesday we enjoy a long run down under headsail to the Quarries. It is so nice to have a favourable wind that we decide to continue further south, but on the west side of the Quarries we lose the wind, so we return and anchor on the east side. The mate swims ashore while the rest of the crew go in the dinghy, and then we all walk up to the point. By then a strong and gusty wind has come in and we are looking down on big waves where we'd been only hours before in a flat calm. When we came into the Quarries we weren't totally convinced about our choice of anchorage as the wind was still coming from the NE, but by the time we return from our walk the forecast 30+kt westerly has arrived and all five boats in the bay are pointed into the beach, so we are comfortably sheltered.

After a blustery night Thursday dawns calm and sunny, and we have another run under headsail down to Lighthouse Beach. The wind drops as we pass Tinpot Bay so we motor from there and anchor in time for lunch. After lunch we go ashore and walk the loop track that goes part way up the Labilliardiere Peninsula, then cuts across to the other side and returns. It is a lovely walk, with a bonus sighting of a pod of dolphin as we walk along the strip of beach just north of Lighthouse Beach. As you cross the peninsula there are spectacular views back up the Channel, then down south toward Recherche Bay and Southeast Cape. By the time we return there is a brisk southeasterly blowing and we decide to take advantage of it and head across to Dover. Another easy run under headsail, then we add the main as the wind goes more easterly, but finally have to strike both sails and motor when the wind drops as we approach Port Esperance. We motor past the islands, Hope, Faith and Charity and pick up the mooring of a friend who is currently away on the Van Diemen's Land Circumnavigation cruise.

The wind is back in the NW on Friday, so we motor to Cygnet, and walk ashore for a late lunch - excellent scallop pies at Lovetts. We potter around the second hand shops, coming away with a clutch of books, a shirt apiece for the captain, the mate, and Carroll, and a sweater for Don. We're back on the boat in time for the mate to do some practice before G&T time. On Friday we have a great day's sailing, starting with a motor assisted headsail run down the Port Cygnet estuary, in flukey NW winds ranging from 2 to 20kt. The wind is stronger and more westerly in the Huon River but we keep the motor on and motor sail up into Randall's Bay, where we stop for a big bacon and eggs brunch. We motorsail out again, getting more wind as we get clear of Garden island and we cut the motor at Ninepin Point. From there we have a dead run past Arch Rock and round Gordon, then the wind drops again. We decide to wait and see rather than start the engine, and soon enough the wind comes in, but more northerly. We have a busy period changing from full headsail to staysail and double reefed main, but once we have the more appropriate sail setting we make good time beating up to Barnes Bay in 16-20kt winds, with occasional fierce gusts which test our guest helmsman, Don. But he handles it well and finally we can ease the sails for a beam reach into Barnes Bay, then strike sail to motor into the calm of Quarantine Bay and pick up a mooring. We've had cold winds and showers as we sailed from Cygnet, but in Quarantine it's calm and sunny enough to have our G&Ts on deck.

Forecast on Sunday is for southeasterly in the morning, rain in the afternoon, so we decide to head back to the RYCT fairly early. Of course we actually get a gentle northerly so we have to motor up the Channel, passing a large group of seals lazing, flippers aloft. When they are disturbed by us and an Adventure Boat that also came up for a closer look, they swim off, fortunately going northward so we have their company for a while. There is an ominous calm in the Derwent and we can see rain ahead - we meet it at Bonnet Point and wonder how we will avoid the racing yachts and get into the marina in very limited visibility and wind gusting to 20kt. But as we pass the Garrow Light and head into Sandy Bay the rain clears, the sun comes out, the wind drops and we make a near perfect entry to the berth, except that, yet again, we nudge the pesky fire hose stand that is the bane of our lives, and once again dislodge the lens on our portside navigation light. Last time it landed in the scuppers, this time it went overboard and we will have to replace it. Curses. We are in with plenty of time to clean up, pack up and have a final meal ashore with our guests before heading to the airport, where we fly together back to Melbourne. [Top]

Port Davey

Monday 6 to Tuesday 21 March

We consider that going to Port Davey is enough of a voyage to warrant a page to itself. Read about our 2017 trip. It's our last sailing trip for the summer, because the remaining two weeks of our stay are taken up with maintenance projects. We leave Hobart on 5 April, then make a brief return from 26 April to 5 May to finish off the anchor locker project.[Top]